Friday, May 26, 2023

Week #22 In the Cemetery

 
Growing up my mom, sister, Aunts, Grandma and I would make the rounds to the many cemeteries in southeast Iowa visiting putting flowers on graves for memorial Weekend. As a child I didn’t realize what a gift they were giving me by taking me to visit all these graves. It wasn’t until 2014 when I was much older that I took an interest and wanted to document the names, take photographs, and learn the stories of who these people were.

What the trunk looks like every year! 

Now each year we load up the car with Flowers, gardening tools, my genealogy books, and camera. Over the years as I’ve done more research  and find new cousins, aunts, uncles and direct descendants and visit new cemeteries each year. There’s nothing I love more than walking a cemetery searching for a new stone and the satisfaction when you find it!

Oakview Cemetery in Albia, Iowa

In 2020 I was supposed to go to Europe the first week in June but with the world shut down my mom and I took that week I was supposed to be gone and went to 42 cemeteries throughout southern Iowa and Northwest Missouri.  We had a wonderful time.

Baden Springs Cemetery near Novinger, MO. Out in a cow pasture! 

My favorite thing about visiting cemeteries is that many of them are located in beautiful spots up on a hill, surrounded by trees, in an old church yard, or out in a cow pasture. When you go at Memorial Weekend they are filled with peonies, irises, and spiria and everything is green and beautiful. 


Even though I’ve been to many of these cemeteries many times I still like to go every year, spend time at the graves, remember the people, and pass along their stories so that they don’t get forgotten. I take extra care with the graves of folks who never had children or have no descendants to visit them.

Meyer Cemetery near Queen City, MO (My 4x Great Grandparents Stone)

There is this quote I found on Pinterest I’m not sure of the Author but it sums up Cemeteries to a T.

This is a Cemetery…

Lives are commemorated, deaths are recorded, families are reunited, memories are made tangible, and love in undisguised. This is a Cemetery.

Communities accord respect, families bestow reverence, historians seek information and our heritage is thereby enriched.

Testimonies of devotion, pride and remembrance are cast in bronze to pay warm tribute to accomplishments and to the life, not the death, of a loved one. The cemetery is homeland for memorials that are sustaining source of comfort to the living.

A cemetery is a history of people, a perpetual record of yesterday and a sanctuary of peace and quiet today. A cemetery exists because every life is worth loving and remembering, always.

Greentop Memorial Park in Greentop, MO


No comments:

Post a Comment