Monday, May 16, 2022

Week #20 Textile

The past few years I've been super lucky to find some quilts that my Great Grandmother, Great great aunt, and even Great Great Grandmother had a part of making. 3 of which my mom and I stumbled upon unexpectedly!! 

This first quilt we found while visiting the church my Great Grandmother attended. They had recently remodeled the church and during memorial weekend they opened it up for people to see inside. When we got inside we found baptismal records for several of my great aunts and uncles and then on display in the front of the church was this beautiful red and white quilt. When looking at the names we came across my Great Grandma Blanche Walter and Great Great Aunt Amy Miner. We were thrilled. 


Then just last year we were visiting the county historical society where my Great Grandma lived and we found 2 more quilts that she and my aunt and their church helped make! 







This next quilt below was gifted to my Aunt when she graduated nursing school. My family knew about the quilt but didn't know where it ended up. When my Aunt passed and we were going through her things I went to throw away an old pillow and luckily my cousin checked it and turns out the quilt was folded up and stored in the pillow case! Thank God for my cousin who checked or I would have hated myself forever! Turns out this quilt was pieced by my 2x great grandma Louisa Walter and then finished and quilted by my Great Grandma Blanche Walter. It's such a pretty tulip pattern. 





This last quilt is one that I made a few years ago. I made 2 of them, one for my aunt and one for my mom. It is a photo collage of my immediate family. They were surprise Christmas gifts for them. If you're wanting to make something like this I used Spoonflower to create the center panel. It's a unique way to display family photos! 



2 comments:

  1. Very special quilts and the signature blocks are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I can imagine that pillow case thing happening in my house. My mother put all my baby clothes/shoes etc in a pillow case from memory and it is still rattling around in the top of my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete