Monday, May 2, 2022

Week #18 Social

Today it seems that it's harder and harder to get groups together, especially family and extended family groups. People seem to be busier than ever and kids are involved in 100 different activities. Yes we may be connected on social media and know what's going on in each others lives, but it's rare that we ever get together. Sometimes the only time I see my extended family is at a funeral. 

One of the biggest things I envy about my ancestors is their ability to always gather together as a family. I've found newspaper articles & photos and heard stories from my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles about gathering with their families for Sunday dinners, birthdays, holidays, family reunions, and just for fun. Family was a priority and they always made time to gather together. 

One of my favorite photos that  I have is the one below. It's of my grandpa Sylvan's brother and cousins showing off their ice cream makers at a 4th of July party at my Great Grandparents House! The original I have is black and white but I colorized it and it turned out awesome!

L-R: Dallas Faber, Don Lockman, Eddie Pollard, Max Lockman, Troy Lockman, Clell VanDorin

I've always enjoyed the photo but recently I was on Ancestry and turns out I had saved a newspaper clipping that I believe goes along with the photo!! It describes them gathering at my Great Grandparents house making 11 gallons of ice cream!! This was an awesome find as it helps describe what is happening in a photo.  


I love how newspapers use to include articles like this about family gatherings, reunions, who was visiting who from out of town and so much more. You can truly find some gold scanning through old newspapers. 

I believe that through these social gatherings of families that is how the stories of our ancestors were passed down and can continue to be passed down. Each person has a different perception and first hand knowledge of certain relatives and it's a great way to keep their memories alive when they are passed on. I'm hopping that future generations realize the value of gathering with extended family. I know I will do my best to pass on what I know to younger generations. 



3 comments:

  1. Making 11 gallons by hand! Love the way your colorized photo came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE this memory you've published. My husband re-tells frequently his childhood memories of having to sit on the ice cream freezer while someone else cranked it, and feeling proud once he was old/large enough to graduate to being the one to turn the crank. It truly is the simple things that give us joy.

      Delete
  2. This is a fantastic post. I didn't really understand what Amy meant by an icecream social but I guess this is it in a nutshell. Well done you finding the newspaper article to match the photo. An icecream social sounds like my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete