Monday, March 11, 2019

Week 11 "Large Family"

Albert Oscar & Sarah Josephine (Miller) Van Dorin
2x Great Grandparents on my Mom's Dad's Side
AO Van Dorin Born:23 June 1861 Iowa  Died: 23 March 1943 Iowa
SJ Miller Van Dorin Born:16 December 1865 Missouri Died: 17 Feb 1938 Iowa
Married: Holt Co Missouri on  March 9, 1882
 
 
AO & SJ Van Dorin don't have the largest family in my tree, but I've already talked about one of the largest a few weeks ago when I had that family photo. They had 16 children. I have a family photo of the Van Dorin family hanging right above my TV so I see them everyday and thought they would be perfect to talk about this week!
 
Albert Oscar was born in Henry Co, Iowa to James Alexander and Mary Jane (Harsbarger) Van Dorin. According to the census records they moved to Kansas by the 1880 census. But then by the 1900 census he had moved back and settled in Appanoose Co, Iowa and had 7 children. According to family stories they didn't like it in Kansas because it was too hot and dry.
 
 Sarah Josephine was born in Holt Co Missouri to James and Emily (Whipple) Miller. This is always so fascinating for me because we live in the county right next to Holt Co and for a long time I never really felt any connection here other than my parents and my sister and I living here. Her dad's family is really a mystery and I haven't found very much info on him or where he's buried. Her mom's family I lucked out and found a book someone had made and donated to the Holt Co Historical society.
 
On the 1870 census it lists SJ as living in Holt Co. After that It's a true mystery because her father died in 1879 and her mother before that. I've not been able to find her on an 1880 census. Then she pops up on the 1900 census with her husband and 7 children!! So much to happen in 30 years and know idea what!
 
I'm in the boat with every genealogist who complains about having no 1890 census! This is the one instance that it would be helpful.
 
 
I don't know how exactly AO & Sarah met but I know that they were married in Holt Co. Mo. I am sooooooo very lucky and honored to be the care taker of AO & SJ's original Marriage license. I've also been to the Holt Co courthouse and saw it written in the marriage record book.
 
 

 
The first 5 of their children were born in Kansas and then the rest born in Iowa after they settled.  
 
This is the photo that I have hanging above my TV.
 
They had 11 children with 10 surviving to adulthood:
 
Flora Bell Van Dorin Jones
James Thomas Van Dorin
Anna Laura Van Dorin Lockman
William Henry Van Dorin *my great grandfather*
Fred Franklin Van Dorin
Albert Burle Van Dorin *Passed away as infant*
Fairie Angeline Van Dorin Faber
Zadia Beatrice Van Dorin McFall
Maude Zempna Van Dorin Bettis
Doris Maxine Van Dorin Hindman
 
They left behind 30 grandchildren
 
 
 
One neat thing is that the Moravia Union which is the local paper that was from the town they lived in, has all the newspapers online. So I've been able to find many articles and tidbits about their family.
 
 



 
 
 
Albert and Sarah both lived a majority of their lives in Iowa surrounded by most of their family. Sarah died February 17th, 1938 and AO died March 23, 1943.

 
 
 

 They are buried in Moravia Iowa at the Old Moravia Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment