Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Week 10 "Bachelor Uncle"

Amanda S. Larson
Born: 27, November 1868 in Sweden
Died 3, May 1939 in Iowa
3x great Aunt on my mom's dad's side


I couldn't come up with a "Bachelor Uncle" and was asking my mom if she had any ideas and she mentioned Amanda Larson. Not an uncle but rather a "Bachelorette Aunt". I've visited her grave several times so I thought she'd be perfect to look up since I didn't know much more beyond her name and her connection to me. My mom then said that she had several photos of her!! The first she showed me was the one above!! How neat of a photo is that!! 

Back of photo says "Hannah Anderson & Aunt Amanda" 
 
Talking with my mom and Aunt they said that she was a housekeeper most of her life. She use to work in Ottumwa Iowa for more wealthy people who had large homes. My aunt said that when they would have furniture they didn't want they would give it to her and she would ship it on a train back to where her family lived. She and her family came from Sweden to America to find work which was lacking in Sweden.
 
 
I've always been drawn to the people in my family tree who didn't have children or who never married. Often times they are the ones who become forgotten because they have no one to remember their stories. But I'll do my best to keep their memory alive. 

Amanda is buried in Albia, Iowa at the Oakview Cemetery.

Amanda's connection to me:

Amanda S Larson Sister to my 2x great grandmother Louisa (Larson) Anderson
My Great Grandmother Hazel (Anderson) Van Dorin
My Grandfather Sylvan Van Dorin
My Mom
Me



No comments:

Post a Comment