Monday, April 11, 2022

2022 Week #15 How do you Spell That?

As I'm sure is the case in any family tree we have branches filled with William, John, Edward, Matthew and James. But there are some cases where the names are a little more unique. Here is a collection of some of the more unique names throughout my family tree! 

 Eliphalet L. Monroe
Born: 1768 in Vermont
Died: 26 September 1848
5x Great Grandfather


Rosbotham Monroe
Born: 09 Feb 1731
Died 18 July 1831
6x Great Grandfather 



Granderson F. Williams 
Born: 1820 in North Carolina
Died: June of 1893 in Missouri 
4x Great Grandfather


Gottlib J. Mollick 
Born: 05 March 1837 in Germany
Died: 29 Dec 1929 in Missouri
4x great Grandfather



Jabez Van Dorin
Born: 09 April 1798 Pennsylvania
Died: 1872 Iowa 
4x Great Grandfather 


Glass (or Glafs) Cochran
Born: 1715 in Northern Ireland
Died: 05 September 1795 Massachusetts
6x Great Grandfather



Submit Miner
Born: 26 September 1787 Massachusetts
Died: 11 June 1833  Ohio 
4x Great Grandmother


Walter Children

My grandmother on my mom's side had some siblings with some unique names. 2 sisters that passed away in their teens were Zola and Oraleta. Then her 3 brothers all went by nick names Bud (Loren), Short (Aubrey), Friz (Maurice). I guess my great grand parents had some unique ideas when it came to naming their children!  

Political/Historical Figures:

 I'm guessing it was popular in early days when naming children to name them after historical figures. Although not quite unique in spelling but unique none the less. I've got several scattered throughout my tree including:

2- William Sherman Mullins
Andrew Jackson Mullins
Andrew Jackson Loomis
Andrew Jackson Hutchison
Benjamin Harrison Mullins (Born 1889 when Harrison was President) 
Benjamin Franklin Slavin
George Washington Ertel
Queen Victoria Booth 
John Wesley Booth

2 comments:

  1. Interesting list, I'll have to look at my tree for these types of names and spellings. And oh do I want to make a list of the Andrew Jackson's, George Washington's and Benjamin Franklin's in my tree. I've come across many of those on my mother's line 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such interesting names! I do wonder who was the first person to come up with these.

    ReplyDelete