Tuesday, February 8, 2022

2022 Week #6 Maps

Back in 2017 my mom and I went to a local historical society in a county that was home to several generations of my fathers family. Housed in this historical society they had plat maps from the late 1800's. In one of them I found my 4x great grandparents Israel and Clarissa Loomis' land in Putnam County Missouri. 


This is the full plat map page. 

This is the zoomed in section of the plat map page. 

In the zoomed in version you can see Israel's land in sections 5&6. To the west of his land is AJ Loomis which is Israel's son Andrew Jackson Loomis. To the Southeast of Israel and Northwest of Andrew is Israel's son Martin Vandyne Loomis. Eventually both Andrew and Martin would leave Putnam County and head west for Kansas. 

While on Ancestry I was able to find the land document of when Israel purchased this piece of land September 1, 1856. 



I've been lucky enough to have visited the area where his land was. It's neat seeing it on paper but getting to experience it in real life is even better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment