Monday, February 11, 2019

Week 7 "Love"

Sylvan and Carolyn Van Dorin

William Sylvan Van Dorin born March 30, 1919 Died Dec 30, 2000
Carolyn Marie Walter born October 5, 1927 and Died June 26, 2015
My Maternal Grandparents
 
This week the prompt was love and the first couple that came to mind was my maternal grandparents Sylvan and Carolyn Van Dorin. Although my grandpa passed away when I was young, looking at photos of the two of them and reading letters they wrote to each other there was no doubt that these two were in love. 


Their love story began in rural Iowa. They grew up on farms close to each other. During the early years of their relationship my grandmother was in high school and my grandfather in the service serving during WW2. So they wrote letters back and forth to each other. 


My grandmas sister told me a story that my grandpa was notoriously late and one evening he was supposed to pick my grandma up but was so late that she gave up on him and went to bed. When he arrived to pick her up her mother told him that she'd gone to bed and that he was too late!! I'm thankful that wasn't a deal breaker! 

Another fun story we found in a letter from my grandpas Aunt Flora to my grandpa when he was in the service. In the letter my grandmas Aunt writes that my grandma had stayed with her and said that she claimed my grandpa as her own but then mentioned that another young lady in town also thought that grandpa was hers too!! I wish I could go back and ask what made him choose my grandma over the other young lady. But whatever it was i'm glad he chose her! 



Sylvan and Carolyn were married on April 28, 1946 at the Grace United Methodist Church in Moravia Iowa. To this union they had 3 daughters, 3 granddaughters, and 2 great grandsons. They lived most of their lives in the town of Moravia and were very active in their community. 



For 33 years they owned and operated Van Dorin Implement where they sold Allis Chalmers tractors and equipment and home appliances. 



They were honored as Moravia Fall festival King and Queen. 


All together they celebrated 54 years together above is them pictured at their 50th anniversary. 

A couple of pot holders my grandma made. 
"I've got Ewe under my skin"
"Owl be yours forever"

For 15 years they were separated after my grandpa passed away but I know that they are together again watching over all of us in heaven. Thank you both for showing us all how to love.


 "Being a family you are a part of something wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life. No matter what!"

No comments:

Post a Comment