Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Week 4 "I'd Like to Meet"

Not going to lie but I had a whole blog post wrote up for this week but I scrapped it last minute. This was a HARD topic to write about. Not that I couldn't think of someone I'd like to meet but rather the opposite. For me learning about all these people who were crucial to my existence it's hard not to want to meet them all!! The post I scrapped I limited myself to listing 10 people who I would love to have met. But the more I thought about it 2 really stuck in mind that I've thought many a time that I'd like to have known them when they were alive and that's my great grandparents. (My Mom's Mom's Parents)

Mearl & Blanche (Miner) Walter



Mearl Everett Walter was born February 22nd, 1890 in Appanoose County Iowa, near Exline, to Edward and Louisa (Withrow) Walter. He had 8 brothers and sisters. Maude, Zella, Grace, Virgil, Emil, Clovie, Lawrence, and Edna. 

Mearl with his parents and siblings.


Blanche Miner was born September 7th, 1891 in Appanoose County Iowa, near Dean, to Frank and Katie (Slavin) Miner. She had 3 sisters Cleo, Marie, and Edna and 1 living half sibling, a brother, Walter. 

Grandma Blanche with her family. 

Grandma Blanche with her Sisters


They were married on August 30th, 1908 at the home of the Justice of the Peace. To this union came 10 children. Zola, Loren "Bud", Oraleta, Maxine, Aubrey "Short", Maurice "Friz", Elouise, Mearl Dean, Carolyn (My Grandmother), and Annabelle. Unfortunately they faced tragedy with the loss of 3 of their children Zola age 18, Oraleta age 17, and Mearl Dean age 4, all within the span of 3 years.  I can't fathom that kind of pain and tragedy all while still raising 6 other children including a brand new baby born in the midst of 2 of the losses.



Taken at their 60th Wedding Anniversary

For most of their lives Mearl and Blanche lived on a farm only moving to town in their later years. Since they rented most of their land they moved around quite a bit but mostly around Appanoose County. My great grandparents were also very skilled in growing a huge garden every year. One of their specialties was watermelons. Which is the theme for our Family Reunions every year. My Great Grandpa would enter his fruits and vegetables in the Moravia Fall Festival every year. My great grandma would enter baked and canned goods. Both earned many a blue ribbon over the years! My grandma, great aunts and uncles, and cousins have carried on the traditions of entering in the fall festival. A couple years ago I even entered some items! The fall festival was always a big deal for my great grandparents and family.

Grandpa Mearl with his Sheep
Grandpa Mearl with his Mules
The family with the prize watermelons! 

My great grandmother was also well known for her cooking! She was known for her homemade noodles, popcorn balls, cookies and more. She grew Christmas Cacti that i'm sure half a dozen or more people have a descendant of!! I've also been lucky enough to find a quilt that she quilted that my 2x great grandmother Louisa Walter pieced. My mom and I also found a quilt that she and the Walnut City Churches Ladies Aid quilted. We found the block with her name on it. 




Several years ago some of Mearl and Blanches descendants made 2 different books. 1 cataloging the family genealogy and the other a collection of stories that each child and grandchild wrote their memories about Mearl and Blanche and their childhood. I LOVE reading the stories that everyone wrote because every single person shared how wonderful these 2 people were and the great love that was given to all. My mom often tells about Christmas at Grandma and Grandpa Walter's, saying it was always a wonderful occasion. The house they lived in may not have been very big with all those kids, grand kids, and great grand kids piled in but it was so full of love and happiness and everyone always had a spot either around the table on the stairs or even under the table!!



That's what makes me a little sad that I missed out knowing these 2 wonderful people while they were alive. I know without a doubt that I would have loved visiting them and learning from them. But I'm lucky that the love that they shared has been passed down and their legacy has lived on through their children and now grandchildren and great grandchildren.

This was an excerpt from the book my Aunt and Cousin did and I absolutely love it. 

Christmas 1967

This was taken at their 60th Wedding Anniversary



Mearl Walter passed away at the age of 85 on February 11th, 1976.



Blanche Walter Passed away at the age of 99 on Feburary 26, 1991. Just 6 months shy of her 100th birthday.



I know that they would be proud of our family. Even though we are scattered across this country we still come together and stay in touch. I hope that we will be able to continue that in the coming years!






1 comment: