Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Week 3 "Unusual Name"

Augusta Victoria Matilda Ertel McElhinney
"Aunt Doat"

This weeks prompt is “unusual name” and that award goes to my 2x great grandfather's sister (my dad's mom's great aunt)! She passed away long before I was born but I've heard some about her through my cousin and I've always been fascinated with her very regal name!! She has 2 middle names, an unusual maiden name, and then married into a family with a unique name! But with all those beautiful given names the name she herself chose to go by was "Doat". Then for legal purposes and on her headstone she went by Victoria.





According to my cousin she grew beautiful African Violets, made lots of quilts, and was a good cook! She also helped my cousin get involved with genealogy which I'm thankful for since my cousin has helped inspire me!! Aunt Doat sounded like a lady who I'm sure I would have enjoyed knowing. The farm where she and her husband lived in Northeast Missouri, is a place I've been lucky enough to visit. The cemetery where she's buried sits behind the homestead in the pasture. That cemetery is a neat place with deep family history for me and definitely contains a good story for another day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment