Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Week 2 "Challenge"

The first thing I thought of when I thought of “challenge” was an adventure I went on a couple of years ago in search of my 4x Great Grandmother(on my moms moms side) Naomi Argo Burge's grave stone.

I had known about her but had not done any research on her. But for some reason I thought i'd look her up and I found where she was buried and it turned out to be not too far from where I lived!! So one July day I decided I'd set out and look for her grave. That morning  I happened to throw on a shirt that said "Take the road less traveled". Little did I now i'd regret that decision!!

So I got on Find a grave and used the map setting and followed the directions. I made it soo close when I found the highway I was to go down was under construction!! So I found a gravel road that looked as if it went through. HA it went from gravel to dirt to NOTHING!!! The road just ended in the middle of the woods. The cemetery was still a couple miles away. So I backtracked and went around the construction. I got a little closer the next time. But then the road went from Gravel to what looked like someones driveway going to their back yard to dirt to Nothing again!!! But then to my surprise I looked to my right and there was the cemetery!!!! Yay! I found it.

The road to the cemetery....


It was literally right behind these people's house about 300 yards. But it was probably one of the prettiest cemeteries I've been too. It was fenced in and surrounded by trees and was just the quietest most peaceful little spots around. I really wished I packed a picnic and could have stayed all afternoon.

I found Naomi's grave and her son William Argo Who would have been my 3x Great grandmother's Brother. He served in the Civil war in the 3rd Missouri Cavalry.


Naomi's Stone

Naomi's Stone with that of her Son William and his family. 


The view facing south from inside the cemetery. 

So after I found that cemetery I called my aunt who I knew would be excited to hear my tale. I realized I wasn't too far from where she lived so I went to her house. I then told her of another cemetery I'd like to visit that was near where she lived. So we set off find a grave on our phones and we we found another dead end!! This one went from gravel to dirt to a bean field. So we'll have to try again on that one when the beans are out. 

Picture of the road turning into the bean field. 

Next time I go on a cemetery adventure i'll be sure to be more careful on what clothes I pick out. This day proved to be very challenging and frustrating when I came to all those dead ends. But I was able to find another grave of a direct descendant so it was all worth it! Plus it made for a fun story to tell! 


No comments:

Post a Comment